Monday, January 12, 2009

Windows 7 Previewed - Intro

Windows recently released their replacement for Vista. Replacement, you may ask. Vista is only 2 years old plus, and why so fast a replacement? Well, for those of you who are old enough to remember when Microsoft released Windows ME in 2000. 3 years later, XP came. In essence, Windows ME was a white elephant. Same case here. Vista's replacement is coming sooner than what you think. I predict that it should hit stores some time next year.

After a grueling through-the-night download, I burned the ISO and got myself the Windows 7 DVD installer.

Enough said about that. Let's have a look at what Microsoft has to offer here.

The new desktop. First thing you will notice is the revamped taskbar. In my opinion, it is so much better than the cosmetic upgrade of Vista. Now, you will no longer see the full name of the running program. All you get is an icon. It does indeed make 7 look so much more sleek.
Yup, Win+Tab still brings you this. Although I am not quite a fan of Vista, but I must say that this does look good. Not too sure on system stability though..The rating system returns. First introduced in Vista, the built in rating tool gives the user a rough idea on how fast the system can cope with Vista/7. I scored 3.0 because my HDD was an IDE type, and with a 2MB buffer, dragged the score even lower. I'll use a SATA drive if I have any spare..The "new" My Computer. Noticed that now USB drives has the cool blue bar to show its capacity? Vista did not have that. Kudos to Microsoft for listening to its feedbacks.
The new Paint. It won't kick Photoshop in the ass yet, but it does look a little more feature packed that the previous versions.

I'll cover more in depth stuff in my next posts.

1 comment:

  1. Windows 7 beta, knew the news very long time ago, and my hand itchy, want to download ._.
    But well, since you have a preview here then I'mma get more information on it before I download it =X

    ReplyDelete